26 March 2015

The rewards of my bulb planting.


I was browsing through  one of my French magazines  again,
if you know me, you will know I keep lots of my magazines for a long time.
This time it was the fairly new one called  ' ESPRIT d'ici '

which is now in it's 2nd year and published 4 times a year
Spring - Summer - Autumn - Winter.
It covers a wide variety of interests.
Various types of crafts, gardening and country life
 with speciality recipes from different regions of France.

 My garden is beginning to look very spring like at the moment,
as I had planted lots of Tulips last Autumn,
I was happy to see these pink tulips as a feature.
Last Autumn I planted a large bag of Tulips, 
you can see here while doing some Gentle gardening
I think there were about 60 +.
While I was tidying the shed last week,
I found these bulbs sprouting in a string bag, not sure what they are, 
so they'll be a surprise when/if they flower. 


I chose to put them in pots as I was still only doing light gardening then.
 It was easier than having to bend down & also when they've 
finished flowering I will be able to store the pot in the shed. 
This year I plan to find easy ways to garden, with not a lot of effort,
 by having lots of flowers in pots which can be 
moved around to where ever I want to brighten up a dull corner.
When the first buds opened I was a little disappointed, 
as they weren't as pale as I had thought they would be.
It's not the first time bulbs haven't produced what is shown on the label.

 After a few warm sunny days, a few of the Tulips have opened up.
I won't be picking any as they are so cheap in the local Supermarche 
I bought a few bunches to have indoors.

After a shower of rain,  the buds had closed up for the night 
I managed to capture this shot.

These were planted at the same time as the others 
but look as if they'll be flowering much later.

More expensive as they are a speciality type 
only 10 in the packet compared to 60+ in the other bag.
I'm hoping they will be worth it. I'll know in a week or two.

And finally I have to show these tulips.
I show them each spring as they were planted here
15 yrs. ago by my sons lovely Danish wife.
Each year they flower and give this golden ray of sunshine




Have you planted bulbs which you're waiting for them to bloom.
I'd love to see what you chose to plant.

à bientôt

Barbara Lilian





14 comments:

  1. I love tulips....however with heat that arrives in March, they don't fair so well here.
    Yes, Barbara, we have a watering system...it waters three days a week. Many of our sprinklers are drip sprayers so they don't use too much water...only our lawn gets real sprinklers...5 mins three times a week...enough to keep it green....and not too much to be bad with water. They are telling us that the drought may last even longer (up to 20 years)...well, that is one report we read recently. Scary.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, your pink tulips are lovely. Were you hoping for a different color because these are very pretty? You know, tulips are one of my favorites. They seem to be sturdy flowers that last for awhile. I really like the yellow ones that your daughter-in-law planted also. Your picture of the tulips with the shower of rain on them is very nice. I think flowers look even lovelier with a bit of dew or rain on them. Good luck with your garden. I want to plant roses soon, but they have to be just the right color, so I'm going to take it slow. :~)

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, thank you for the comment on my "friend's birthday" post. I consider you to be one of my dear and special friends here in blog land. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara,

    So lovely to meet you!

    Your spring garden is very pretty in pink, a treat from your beautiful tulips! I love their colour; it's refreshingly innocent and sweet. Your daughter-in-law's bunch, still showing up after all these years, must be an extra sunny bonus!

    Thanks for visiting Poppy View, and your kind words. Hope to see you again, soon!

    Bon printemps!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you know how I feel about colorful tulips :)
    Your photographs are lovely! Will you be painting from some of them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coucou. Moi aussi cette Année je vais beaucoup cultivé dans les pots. J'aime ce billet
    Bonne fin de Semaine
    Je t'embrasse

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonjour. Je pense que mon premier commentaire c'est envoler!!!!Moi aussi cette année je vais cultivé beaucoup de plantes dans les pots.
    J'aime beaucoup ce billet
    Douce Semaine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a gredner or a planter, but I LOVE you gardeners and your gardens. Your blooms are so so lovely. what an opportunity for you to observe carefully & participate in so many beautiful miracles as they unfold! The pinks will be with me all day on this rather chiily gray New England day...Thank you, Barbara, Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. your tulips are beautiful. I plant them and if the come back 3 years here I'm lucky, but I keep planting them as I love them in the spring. This fall when I plant my newest batch I think I'll try planting in cages to see if they last longer. It's too early yet for tulips here but the daffy's and crocus are pretty right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delightful post and delightful spring flowers . . .
    I am going to copy you and plant bulbs in pots for next year . . . So much easier.
    I had a very large pot and I have been planting lettuce and a few herbs in this pot. Perfect for fresh salads!
    I haven't planted tulip bulbs for a few years, thanks for the inspiration. I look forward to enjoying them in my pots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wrote a comment a minute ago but I think I forgot to hit publish.
    I so enjoyed this post and the springtime flower inspiration.
    I am going to copy you and plant some bulbs in some pots.
    This past year I planted lettuce and some herbs in a large pot and had fresh salad often!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What pretty tulips of many sorts. I planted a lot of them last year, but only a few have come up. I think the squirrels might be getting them. The magazine looks like lovely inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky you, Barbara, my tulips are way behind yours. So will we be seeing some pink tulip watercolours soon? I'm sure you'll make a lovely job of painting them! I'm going to look out for that magazine too, looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barbara, my husband just planted some pink roses in my garden today, and I'm looking at the roses on your side bar, and mine are a little bit more pinker. Yours are beautiful and such a perfect pink. We'll see how mine grow. The color I picked is pretty, but a few of my blog friends tell me that sometimes when they plant their flowers, the color is not what they thought it would be.

    Have a nice Sunday.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you