14 May 2015

A Taste of Denmark

I've just been to Denmark to visit our son and his family.
As you can see it's very flat.


 A few wind-machines among the Rapeseed fields.


We went for a drive up to the North west coast.
Where the landscape is totally different
Look at the trees all bent over due to the wind.


On our walk to see the old lighthouse 
I came across this beautiful wild flower , some type of Anemone'



I propped this one up with a small stick so that you could see inside.


The coast line is eroding
so now this once needed lighthouse is no longer in use.







  This past winter there has been more erosion of the coast,
and now these houses have been boarded up.


There seems to be more hills along the coast than inland.


With my lovely son, on a beautiful sunny but windy day.


A few fisher-mans cottages, probably used as summer houses now.


We took a walk around the nearby small town.
Very popular in the summer months.


Some tasty Danish snacks.


Take a closer look at the chairs outside, the restaurant owners 
leave soft blankets  to put over your legs, when the wind is chilly.



I saw this schooner sailing along the Fjord which is opposite our sons house.
I grabbed my camera and took this photo from the bedroom window. 
As I had only taken my aim and shoot camera I had to zoom in 
for this shot, so it's lost a bit of the clarity.


A mornings visit to the local harbour.


It was too early for the ice-cream shop to be open.


 An evening of culture  at the newly built music theatre.


Three generations aged from 7 to 75 years together.



to listen to the Aalborg Symphony Orchestra
playing Vivaldi 'The Four Seasons '  
Our grandsons gave the thumbs up 
and said 'It was cool '


A day window shopping.
I loved this old building I saw in Aalborg town
which is now divided into small boutique shops.
The original cobble stones in front of the building have been left.


Lots of bicycles everywhere.



Not sure what was happening, but they were doing some filming here. 



Lots of pink flowers.





I Loved these designer watering pots


 We sat here for coffee and people watched. 


and were tempted to buy some freshly ground coffee from this shop.





The end of another wonderful family visit to Denmark.
 Sunset over the Fjord.


 Now it's time for the drive back to the airport.


for our flight back home to France.


Back home to all the plants that have grown so much in such a short time 


 and need to be planted or potted on into bigger pots.



But that's for another time.
So I'll leave you for now and catch up with the garden progress next time.


à bientôt
Barbara Lilian















13 comments:

  1. Lovely photos of Denmark, Barbara Lilian. The view from the bedroom window is remarkable. How great to have a wonderful visit with your son and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing all these lovely photos. I am a GREAT "arm chair" traveler. Love to visit places through videos or photos! And what a beautiful opportunity for you to be with your son! The coast is lovely, although sad about the erosion. Ahhh....the garden always waits for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed seeing the highlights of your visit to Denmark with your son and family. It certainly is an interesting country and landscape but it looks very cold there right now. Have a lovely weekend of gardening.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your photos from Denmark. Is that stone wall with the flowers in front part of your house in France? Very handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what fun you have had! Great shots! What a treat to get a away....thanks for sharing.
    Your plants do look ready to be replanted....they are lovely.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara,
    Denmark looks wonderful, and it sounds like you had a great time! Your pictures really show the beauty of Denmark, and I especially liked the treasured picture of you and your son. That coffee shop looks so charming, and I'm wondering if the coffee they serve is tasty? I got to see these lovely pictures of Denmark, and I'm grateful since I may never see it myself.

    Thank you for the birthday wishes, Barbara. It meant a lot to me. :~)

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Barbara,
    What a wonderful visit with your handsome son and his beautiful family - I so enjoyed all of your lovely photos! Such a beautiful place and the best part - being with your loved ones! xo How pretty the villages are, and the lighthouse being swallowed by the sands of time....Isn't it nice of the cafe owners to provide blankets! I love that idea. Your plants live in a lovely place, also. Beautiful memories as you pot up your plants.
    Hugs xo
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks and sounds like a wonderful trip with your family. I know you will miss them but it must also be nice to be home to enjoy your lovely garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to visit such a beautiful area of Denmark - your many great photos really gave me a great sense of place. I saw a little of the country last year on the Baltic cruise and loved it - and yes I recall the blankets provided in the outdoor cafes, a nice friendly touch.

    Hope being home is fun too - know the garden will keep you hopping!
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful trip. Good for you!
    Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how wonderful that you had this visit with your family in such a beautiful country!!! Thanks for showing us. I long to go to Denmark, I had forgotten...But your cottage was also beautiful to come home to!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello dear Barbara
    I'm sure you both enjoyed your holiday in Denmark - lovely to see a photo of you and your son too!
    The new music theatre is a great asset and what a treat to hear the Aalborg Symphony Orchestra playing Vivaldi! Very special to have the grandchildren there too!
    Our time with our overseas families goes all too quickly, I know!
    We arrived in France on Sunday, every day is precious. This week our eldest granddaughter is on a school trip to Austria with her German class.
    We're enjoying day to day activities and just being part of their family life!
    I'll try and put up a post shortly!
    Love and hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tout est beau!

    Some lovely scenes to paint Barbara:)

    Great shot of you and your son..you look so happy..love the headband..suits you very well!
    And chez vous?:) So pretty..stone and flowers..perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you