11 July 2015

Market day


I haven't been to Piegut- Pluvier market for a long time.
It's rated as being the best market in our area and stall holders come
 from far and wide, it's always very busy especially during the summer season;
so we like to arrive early. It's about a 25 min. drive from where we live.

 Most times I go to the market with our visitors or a friend.
It's not very often Mr France comes with me, but as we were up early
 he came with me. Here he is with my straw market basket.

We started off buying lots of fruit.
The Apricots were almost as big as the peaches.


I needed to stock up on fresh garlic so searched out my favourite stall.
It's always much cheaper to buy them loose.
I only buy the platted strung garlic as gifts.
Next I wanted summer fresh vegetables.
I'll be making summer salads with the Haricot vert beans.

This is how I make a quick simple bean salad.
Top & tail the beans. bring a large pan of salted water to the boil
cook the beans just enough to still have a crunch, about 7 to 10 mins.
drain in a colander, then plunge them straight away into iced water,
this will keep them green.
Put the beans into a serving dish, and drizzle some good quality olive oil over them,
  add some thinly sliced spring onions, toss tog. season with ground black pepper.
If you make a large amount, they will keep for a few days stored
in a sealed plastic container, in the fridge.


I noticed a lot of the stalls I used to visit were not there anymore,
so I decided to look around to find a new source for good fresh veg.
I saw a queue, at a  stall I'd never seen before, this is always a good sign.
 It was all Bio vegetables, which is usually more expensive, but their prices 
were very competitive. I had a peep first and all their produce looked top quality 
so I tagged on at the end of the queue. I noticed most of the people had
crumpled brown paper bags in their hands, which I assumed were from
their last visit and they must be regular customers. 
So not only were the producers Eco friendly all their regular clients were too.
So I'll certainly be buying my vegetables from there again.

 I bought a kilo of plum tomatoes with the intention of slow roasting them,
but I made a tomato salad drizzled with olive oil & sprinkled 
with fresh basil with a crunchy baguette for lunch,
I wish I'd bought more. I'll have to buy more next week .

My last purchase were olives to have with our evening aperitif.


So many types so I left that purchase for Mr France to choose.


He chose Greek and Moroccan, black olives


 There were lots of wine stalls, we only looked this time.
maybe next week we'll try wine from another region.



 Vin Rosé seemed to be the most popular.

I was pleased with the fresh fruit & vegetables I bought.
 Here's my straw market basket full of all things fresh.


I hope you enjoyed joining me along with Mr France at our favourite market.


à bientôt
Barbara Lilian

12 comments:

  1. I loved going to market with you . . . and Mr French and the Straw Basket . . .
    Love all the fresh veggies . . . and I would be a fan of the olives . . .
    Lovely venture . . . wonderful pictures . . . I enjoyed your words . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I adore French markets, all that irresistible fresh food. Our village has one every week but we need to go early in summer to avoid the crowds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love market days, Barbara. It looks like you had a wonderful time at the market. I hope you brought home lots of goodies.

    Have a peaceful Sunday, my friend.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my...I love markets and this one is fantastic! Such fun to go shopping. I think France is known for its lovely outdoor markets. Lucky to have such a nice one so close to home. It makes my mouth water just looking at your lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your farmers market looks inviting! Ours are usually fair with high prices...
    I have some roma tomatoes....I should try roasting them....
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a very good market and the food all looked so good. I haven't been to many markets this year because of all of the rain we have had. But I:m determined to do more before summer is over and they'r gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great market. I'd love to visit that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Barbara, Oh my word, what a fabulous market.... the fruit looks so fresh.... and the olives, what can I say, George would have been in heaven, he would have loved being able to taste the olives before he bought them.... this is what he loves about shopping in warmer climes, you can taste before you buy... and the French straw bag is the perfect bag.... they are gorgeous.
    I really enjoyed my visit to the market.... I hope you find some fabulous new wine this weekend and of course enjoy the odd glass or two.
    Best Wishes to you.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara, Jess just returned safely home from her trip to France. She said she didn't want to leave that beautiful place. Thought I'd tell you since this is your homeland.

    Have a lovely Sunday.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Barbara - just catching up with you sweet friend. My visit with you and Mr. France at your favorite market was delightful. So glad you took me along. Nothing like fresh vegetables and fruits to wet one's palette. Your photos are so lovely. Have a blessed week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a wonderful morning at the market! Your straw market basket was really overflowing with goodness. I would really love to visit to this special market! Here in the Midwest,USA, we often call our outdoor markets. French Country Markets! You are so blessed to visit a real French Market! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  12. J'adore les marchés!
    He looks great tout en blanc w/ your market bag.
    Nothing beats market bags.
    Not Michael Kors..not Gucci etc..to me anyways.

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you