19 May 2016

Preparing my hanging baskets.


Due to the unseasonal weather conditions this year, I'm so far behind
preparing hanging baskets than previous years.
Although the nights are still cold, I need to get the baskets prepared.
With not much enthusiasm we went to a small family owned garden centre.


It's nothing like what you would visualise as the usual
'Garden Centre' no fancy glass greenhouses
with electrically controlled ventilation and watering system.

4 poly tunnels an array of country animals wandering freely
 and a friendly lady to greet me.

Sorry no photos I didn't have my camera
so close your eyes
 and imagine you're in the heart of rural France, and step back 30 years .

There are 4 poly tunnels with flaps at each end, the entrance and the other end for some ventilation. 2 of the poly tunnels are full of vegetables, as they do sell their vegetables at the markets. I think the flowers might have started as a side line,
probably just a few geraniums and petunias .
I usually have an idea what I'm looking for. I noticed this year there was more choice.
 I choose all my own plants, put them in a veg. box which are provided. I then go to a little table where there's a lady, who was dead heading all the plants,  she asks me
 how many I have, she writes it down on a piece of paper ripped out of what 
looks like child's exercise book. I have to go to the little shop to pay, where they sell
their vegetables . On leaving I was handed a plastic bag containing fertiliser grains. and told how to look after my plants to get the best results.
and left with their good wishes of...
'au revoir et bonne plantation'
 How charming is that, you certainly don't get this service in the towns.

I did notice a few elderly ladies in their wrap around house pinafore dresses, who had brought their own plant pots to have them planted up with a few geraniums, 
while they chose the vegetable plants to put in their potager.  

 We have bought some of our plants from here for the past 2 yrs
 and been really pleased with the quality and far better value 
than any of the large Jardi-land centres.


This is the selection I chose. They look really healthy.



Trailing Verbena.




White Alyssum

 dble. Sufinias




Brachyscome angustifolia

Begonia senegat.
we had these last year and they flowered from may to October. 
last years baskets.
Pink begonia senegat. 

Simple dark red leaved begonia.



Hopefully by the weekend we will have them planted and hanging.

How are you getting on planting up your summer flowers.

Do you use summer annuals for a splash of colour on your terrace.
I'd love to see what you choose and how you display them.

I hope the weather is warming up for everyone.
Happy planting / Bonne plantation

à bientôt

Barbara Lilian


14 comments:

  1. What a lovely collection of plants, love those mauves and pinks, your hanging baskets will look wonderful. I love the way the French do things like this, selling from their gardens, we are all in favour of supporting individual traders, like the oyster producer at our local market and the young couple who sell their fish and scallops at the port here. I had a delightful conversation with the woman who told how they manage to live by their efforts and were quite content with their way of life, not taking foreign holidays or buying clothes, just loving their life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Barbara . . .
    How delightful to have a gardening center like that to visit!
    The real deal . . . and so BEAUTIFUL they look.
    I don't do hanging pots . . . not sure why.
    I have large pots here and there with annuals and greens.
    I add some veggies in with my annuals in the pots.
    Perfect to have available for summer salads.
    I am planting Zinnia seeds this year . . . I have cosmos ready to be planted.
    Still quite cool here to plant my annuals.
    I did plant a patch of English Daisies, a perennial and I picked a small bouquet of them.
    Pictures will happen soon, I promise.
    Happy Spring Planting.
    Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see that what started as a bit of a chore turned into a very pleasant trip. Your plants do look healthy, and I like your choices. I have potted up lots of geranium and lobelia. As I looked at your begonias I reminded myself that I need to find some of those as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look super healthy!
    I do add things,but don't have much room left..I just went the ay before yesterday and took photo..I've been going for about 40 yrs.. when I look at what I seeded indoors..and what they do..lol I don't think I will seed indoors agai,been doingit so long and this year was not worth it..
    They do have a huge greenhouse..lots of stuff outside..their chicken coop ..tractors..family run since the beginning.I will pick up some baskets at Costco too..but I will never stop encouraging thm..so beautiful..and the people are soo nice!
    Your choices are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your posts makes me want to get out in my flower beds
    I plan to plant flowers this weekend
    I have begonias already planted then we had a cold spell and I think they were shocked as well as mt inpatients
    Nothing prettier than blooming flowers

    Janice in Missouri USA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you chose some beautiful plants and colours for your gardens and containers this year. All favourites of mine. I used to buy begonias and gerbera daisies but the earwigs are plentiful here and love to hide in the petals!! That grosses me out so I don't buy them now. We are about on schedule with new growth here although the weather has been quite cool. I won't buy any annuals until the end of this month as I just end up lugging them into the garage at night if it gets too cold or covering them up. We have a beautiful modern greenhouse not far from us that I have shopped at for 30 years when they started small like the one you bought your plants at. They have beautiful healthy plants and the owners and staff are wonderful friends and neighbours. I like that. I know you will enjoy planting up your beautiful flowers. Have a lovely weekend. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good evening Barbara, What a lovely way to shop for plants for your hanging baskets, which incidentally, I have loved seeing in past years as they always look so beautiful. You have chosen a lovely variety and I adore the colours you have chosen.
    I don't tend to buy many annuals. I have a tall centre pot which I plant up usually with trailing geraniums and fuschias. I have two huge pots which stand by the front door which last year I planted with petunias... they were really successful... and I have an old chimney pot which I am going to plant. I quite fancy trailing verbenas... you have inspired me.
    I am hoping to go the garden centre this weekend, if the weather holds and inbetween decorating. The experience will not be as lovely as yours, but I do like wandering around the garden centre.
    Funnily enough, I bought a few plants at the weekend when I went to our local Methodist Church Plant sale. I picked up quite a few lovely plants, which were literally, divided from the main plant and plonked... yes that's the right word, plonked into pots. I brought them home, popped them in the garden and they are doing very well.
    I am now going to put my feet up, well after I have visited a few other friends.... this painting malarky is very tiring isn't it.
    It's lovely catching up with you.
    Best wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Barbara,
    Your plant choices are beautiful. What a fun experience to go to the family-run garden centre. Much more interesting than the big commercial outlets.
    I did my annual pots just yesterday - Gerbera daisies, heliotrope, and a silvery trailing plant whose name I forget. Pink petunias were planted along my garden borders.
    You asked about our visit to France - we'll be there the second week in July and just to Paris where we're beginning a river cruise to Honfleur. We've never done one of those and it should be interesting. I'm very interested in the excursions offered - to Giverny, Auvers sur Oise and the Normandy landing beaches. Most of the passengers go to the American beaches, but the cruise company said that they will take us to the British/Canadian beaches instead.
    Enjoy your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely and what a nice way to buy your plants. You can tell that they really care that the plants get a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hanging baskets are going to look lovely, Barbara. I especially like the White Alyssum, and the color of the Sufinias is so pretty. I don't really use hanging baskets, but when I see them, I appreciate their beauty.

    It is our Memorial Day weekend, and I am just relaxing and visiting my favorite blogs today.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  11. They really are beautiful! And you're right, how perfectly charming! I am like you that I like to "support" the local growers, whose plants I think are healthier and better because they (probably) weren't grown with pesticides that can hurt the pollinators and are given that extra attention that ensures they're healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought of you recently reading Susan Branch's illustrated journal of her trip to rural England, A Fine Romance (recommended by Monique). These flowers are so very beautiful!! And your appreciation of them comes through!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Barbara - your selection of flowers are so pretty and you are going to have so much fun potting them up! I use many of the same plants in my pots on the deck, and I especially love begonias. I love that you support a family owned business, too. Both of my favorite family owned nurseries went out of business due to a couple of 'big-box' stores that have moved in. It made me so sad, but there is still one locally owned home and garden store that I shop at every week. They even have groceries! I'm looking forward to seeing your finished baskets. Hope you have a lovely week. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I came back to read again. I was charmed by your description of your shopping trip to the local nursery...so personal, so full of good spirit...bonne plantation!! I am thinking I just may buy some fleurs this weekend to put on my front porch!

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you