13 May 2012

Country style - French wedding.

I can't believe our little girl is celebrating her 17yrs wedding anniversary today.
At that time she was living in Canada, and working there together with her French boyfriend. The day she phoned to tell us she was coming back to France to get married, we couldn't have been more excited. Then she asked me to make her wedding dress. The Atlantic Ocean between us, did she realise what a task she was giving me, the answer to that is No. She just said, 'don't worry I'll send you my measurements & just choose something simple, you know what would suite me.' She had always been a come day go day sort of girl, never wanting anything girly or frilly. So the ball was in my court ! What a responsibility for me.
I chose a raw silk material in ivory. The style was a fitted jacket with lots of covered buttons for a simple detail, & a large bow on the back at waist level, I knew she wouldn't mind a bow. The sleeves had puffed shoulders & were tight at the wrists. The skirt was gathered and full length. She was in contact with me weekly, saying she was losing weight every day. As she was only arriving back home to our floral village just a week before the big day, my heart was in my mouth hoping and praying it would fit. I was so glad I had chosen a separate top & skirt it made it easy to make the last minute adjustments. The dress was perfect.  and she said she knew I would do just the perfect dress for her.





My husband & me with our lovely daughter.
Ready to leave the house.

What a wonderful experience for our family to have a French country style wedding for our daughter.The tradition of having the groom arriving at the house to find his bride waiting for him. All the guests tooting the horns of their cars in file behind the bride, with the groom at the tail end, driving to the Mairie, which is the town hall for the civil ceremony. What a wonderful experience which we would never have known about if we hadn't made our move to live in France.


Some antique bloomers I found.
for part of the English traditon of something old



Our lovely daughter.



A selection of photos.
Unfortunatly before digital, so not very clear.
But an idea of a wonderful wedding day.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks mum for thinking of me, as always. And thanks for making today a special day again!!
    Love M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful daughter..dress..photos..:) I was just walking down the same memory lane:)Sending photos of the preps to a friend in France:)
    Lovely wedding! So nice to see photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wonderful!
    and what a terrific dress you created!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a nice and useful information for us...i appreciate urs word

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you