23 July 2012

Lavender posies

My wonderful memory of my visit to the Lavender fields in Provence.
This photo was taken on Mont Ventoux.


Today I started to collect the Lavender from my garden to make my posies.
I make lots of these during the month of August.
A little gift to offer to a friend or neighbour.


Tied with some pretty satin ribbon


Here's how I make the ribbon posies.

Not long after we moved to live in France we went with our French neighbours to the Provence region and stayed with her cousins family. I remember sitting in the shade under a huge tree, the wonderful perfume of lavender was everywhere and I was watching the father who had a bunch of lavender on his knee and a ball of thick string. I was intrigued wondering what he was doing, he beckoned me to come & sit beside him and saw that he was making a very primitive version of the ones I have since made using pretty ribbon.
 
 
 
Some years later a friend bought this book for me, so now every summer I make these posies.


If you don't know how to make them,these diagrams will give you an idea of the stages.
 
 
The posy needs to be made straight after the Lavender has been picked as the stems need to be supple so that they can bend easily over the flower heads. I find it easier to weave the ribbon between two stems together. The number of stems I used for a small posy like the photo shown above is 22. Depending on the size you wish to make, the number of stems when divided by two should always be an odd number, so that you can make the weave regular.
I'm sure most of you will have some Lavender growing in your garden,
 so have a try at making a Lavender ribbon posy.
 
Hope you enjoy making your Lavender posy. as much as I did.





A bientot

Barbara Lilian
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I have made a few too..I enjoyed it..And felt good with the finished product..Transported to Provence I guess..Yours ..definitely prettier than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Barbara, What a wonderful blog, your photos are beautiful. Your daughter will love the photos you have taken. When you are busy it is not easy to pause and take a look.

    I loved your lavender posies, I have never seen them before. I normally dry mine and put them into lavender sachets, but I will certainly try this as they are quite lovely.

    I am going to add you to my side bar, so that others will access your site.

    Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only just found this, too late for this year but next year I'm hoping to have lots of lavender when I plant more around the new sheds. Thanks for the excellent instructions.

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you