30 April 2013

Springtime garden






I love this time of the year when everything starts to wake up after being dormant during the long winter months. I've just been wandering around the garden seeing what's growing and what's not, also what needs to be moved because it doesn't like where it is, or I think it would look better somewhere else.
I could never call myself a real gardener, I love my garden, but I don't let it rule me. I don't talk to my plants, well maybe sometimes, telling them they have 2 chances in life... 'they either grow or they go..
 I let the weeds that flower stay, if I like them, you might say I'm a lazy gardener, but who has the right to say a plant is a weed. if it happens to grow somewhere that's not choking the special plant I have planted then it can stay. The only no go in my garden is I like the grass to be green, I don't like daises or dandelions to sneak in and this year we have an abundance of dandelions growing in all the fields around where we live.
If you read my last post  you will have seen them everywhere, but that's OK as long as they stay put in the fields.
I'm going away in a few days so would you like to see what my garden is looking like at the moment.

One of the many Pieris ( Forest Flame )
Always gives colour throughout the year.





Japonica Japanese Quince







Alyssum ( Saxitile )
Flowers first from April to June, cut back after flowering
then the leaves are a lovely silver grey
forming a good ground cover.

 I hope I don't miss too many things, the Peonies are about to burst into bloom,  if it rains a lot while we're away and we have wind they soon get damaged ,so fingers crossed they'll still be here when I get back.

The Roses are beginning to grow again after the late snow & frost damaging them.

Today I've been splitting and moving the ornamental grass's a friend gave me, I hope it will look as good in it's new home as it did last year.I'll show you that when it's growing, as it's still at the stubble stage.



 I didn't realise it would grow so tall and spread so much. I hope it will be happy where I've put it, as it was hard work digging it up, I had to get help from my other half to dig the holes to replant them. I feel much happier now going away, knowing they will be able to start growing in their new place as it would be too late to move them when I get back. Did I just say I don't let my garden rule me, well maybe I do occasionally.






 The terrace with lots of young plants in pots waiting to go in the garden.
They'll have to wait a little while longer.

We love this area especially for summer evenings.







A few herbs.
Which I always keep in pots near to the kitchen.


Lavender cuttings waiting to go into the Lavender bed



Choisya ( Mexican Orange Blossom )
This will probably be in full bloom when we return.




The Last of the Tulips.




Sempervivum ( succulents )
Which grow out of the crannies in the rockeries.

I put this photo in as I wanted you to see the sweet little viola  that popped up all by itself.
The seed must have come from a flower pot that was there last year .
I've sown seeds in trays and never had success growing them on.




After my busy day making sure everything was able to look after itself during my absence,
 I took several pictures of the sky.  It's amazing how quickly the sun went down.






I'll be back in a couple of weeks and then I'll show you where I've been.
It won't be as warm as it here in France, but it's a beautiful country.
Just a little clue ! it's my favourite place to visit as my son and his lovely wife & grandchildren live there.




à bientôt
Barbara Lilian.




4 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy visiting your family as much as I enjoyed the photos of your garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Afternoon Barbara, I can see that your garden is going to be beautiful in the summer time. There are so many different plants. I love your Pieris, believe it or not it grows very well here in the North of England. When you consider our different climates it is quite amazing.
    We have had the most beautiful day today and I have been out tidying my garden, do you know I think I have even caught the sun on my face!
    Have a lovely trip away and I look forward to seeing you when you return.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is really beautiful and well managed. I'm sure you're spending your free time in gardening. Well nice work keep it up.

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your spring flowers are so pretty Barbara. What a beautiful place to get to walk around and enjoy. I hope you got to see your peonies blooming when you got back! I always hated when I would wait and wait and wait for something to bloom (like my summer lilies) and then we'd go on vacation and I'd miss their blooms! I thought your lavender was rosemary at first, I wonder if they're related? Your yellow alyssum is just beautiful. I used to try to pair it with purple violas, but then the violas took over my front flower bed, as you can imagine, since they (so helpfully) reseed themselves every year. I finally decided they had to go, as the rest of the flowers were being taken over. Your weed philosophy in reverse, right? If I bought it and put it there and it's pretty but taking over, it's a weed and has to go. :) Looking forward to more pictures of your lovely garden. Have a wonderful day!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you