05 October 2013

Autumn colours in my garden



I hate having to put plants on the compost heap when they are still flowering
but they are all past their best, 
so I've been busy in my garden emptying the baskets and troughs.

October is here and we are now in the season of Autumn,
 but this year our weather doesn't feel like Autumn yet, as we are still enjoying warm sunshine
although the days are getting shorter
The  grapes on the vine over the pergola in front of La Petite Maison 
have not been so good this year. So we have left them for the birds to eat.
I did trim off some of the vine and twisted some into a rough garland and hung it on the door.
I've made some others which I'll  keep to decorate for Christmas.




I love the colours of this Virginia creeper.
( Parthenocissus Quinquefolia)
 it's made up of five oval leaflets


     





Now that all our summer visitors have left, I have more time to myself.
I've been reading my art books, and following my favourite painting blogs.
One in particular is  Ronelle Van Wyk she inspired me to take up watercolour painting.
At the moment she is showing some fantastic paintings using oil paint.
It was 2. yrs. ago after I had been on a visit to the Provence that I found her blog
and especially like the style she has using watercolour paints.

It's been raining most of the day today, so it was a good opportunity
 to get out my paints and  practise some technics which I'm trying so hard to master.
  . Also I'd seen some splatter painting, which I've never done before, so gave that I try.

I'm quite pleased with my first effort for the autumn colours.
but maybe I should have tried the splatter technic  on a  piece of scrap paper first !
Oh well as the saying goes, 'we learn by our mistakes !'






à bientôt

Barbara Lilian



3 comments:

  1. What beautiful autumnal(?) watercolor Barbara! You must feel so chuffed! So happy to see your painting, it is beautiful, I hope you are going to show many more...(thank you for the honouring).
    I can't believe your garden is so far into colour yet...our leaves are only starting to fall and turn, our walnuts are still on the trees, the grass is growing at the speed of a lamborghini and the potager is still full of vegetables? You are right, we did have a nice September..any way to shortten the winter makes me happy.
    Bises
    R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gardeners are so lucky to have the seasons change in your own back yard. Though I think I would be growing radishes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..

    And you know I love R too:)

    Now how do I follow again?:)

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you