21 February 2013

Take a walk with me where I live in rural France.

What a difference a day makes. 

We had many weeks of rain, then snow and then more rain with grey skies. 
 This morning we woke up to a cold and frosty start to the day.





  and by mid morning the sun was shining and the sky was clear blue.


                                 

                                                   Would you like to join me on a walk ? 

                                                    We'll start off at the rear of the house.




These trees are Hazelnut which grow in abundance in our area.
I love the catkins hanging. When I was a child we called  them lambs tails.








   
 These Hazel trees form the boundary between our land 
and
the field where the farmer sometimes puts his Limousin cows to graze.






 We are now entering a wooded area.








This time of the year chain saws can be heard all around, as everyone is busy cutting their wood.
  Stacks of wood like these can be seen in most places stored and left to dry for a few years.





I thought you might like a peep at what is hidden in these woods.

 I'm not sure what some of you may think when you see these photos.

You will either love them! 

or think

 'how could anyone let this happen' 











Let us move on.

We're now out of the woods and back on the lane.




I love this view from my house where the stream is winding its way through the fields.
We can hear the rush of the water now after all the rain.






There's plenty of water at the moment, so the water level in our well will now be high.





We are now back on the road to where I live.





 Over the hill.





Et voilà, en face de chez moi.


In the summer we use the well water for all our hanging baskets.




I must show you just one more ruined house.



Since we have lived here we have seen this house gradually fall down.
Unfortunately there are many houses like this, just left to fall to ruins.
 It seems the younger generation now want modern houses which are built 'off plan' 
with very little character and look like matchboxes.



 I am very sad about this ruin, it could have looked something like this.....





The signs that spring is on it's way.
 Heather blooming and the Quince beginning to show signs of blossom.
Hope the frost doesn't kill it off.






I hope you enjoyed walking with me through the woods and the lane where I live.


à bientôt


Barbara Lilian





11 comments:

  1. Fabulous to walk in yr footsteps and so fun to see something different than just Paris Paris Paris !
    Merci Carolg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved the walk...it does look like spring is not too far off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Barbara Lilian,
    You live in a wonderful part of the world and your photographs are brilliant ...... I actually love the ruined houses with the ivy growing all over them. They make a lovely photograph but, I agree that it's a shame that they haven't been restored to their former glory. We live in a Victorian house as do our children and, we used to live in a cottage that was built in 1645 !! I LOVE old houses.
    Thanks so much for your lovely comment today ....... I'm so pleased that you are enjoying 'Dancing on the Edge' ..... I love the music. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking us on a tour of your beautiful countryside. I still see all the beauty in those ruins, the old stone and ivy is a gorgeous combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me miss home in France - what pretty photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely walk, thank you! I am so glad you stopped by my blog! You live in such a beautiful area. I am so glad you showed me the hazelnut trees. I had been thinking about taking part in a project called The Hazelnut Project. They send a bush and you report back on how it grows. It is said that if we could grow hazelnuts everywhere, we could fight nutrition problems. Fascinating! I love the mossy trees....and your home....it just brings a smile to my face! Have a grand day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello to you in France!!! Hoe exciting! What part of France are you in? I loved our walk in the woods and was amazed at the moss growing on the fallen trees! So pretty! We just moved to this house in Oct. after living in our last house (in the woods) for 28 years!!! Hope you make the galumpkis, they really are delicious. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved going on this walk with you, and will add you to my blog roll so I don't miss any more! Love to see the changes in the woods this time of year....and I also appreciate those ruins....wish we could save them all??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this wonderful walk in the French countryside! I enjoy all the sights, but particularly the blue sky and the sights of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful morning walk. I think those ruins give the place such a character.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so so beautiful where you live & I love how you made it feel like I was walking along with you! Just a lovely photo essay, thank you, Rita

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you