07 March 2013

Birthday and Daffodils


Today was my other half's birthday.

For the past few days we'd had beautiful  blue sky and warm sunshine.
 As it was the first signs of warm spring weather, we were looking forward to a nice day out in the Perigord region. about an hours drive from where we live, hoping to have lunch sitting outside at one of the many restaurants we love to eat at. It was not to be. We woke to grey drizzly weather.
Not a day to be driving, wanting to enjoy seeing the numerous Chateaux we would pass on the way.

We decided to put that visit on hold for the next sunny period. 
My other half who is easily pleased, suggested we should make a quick trip 
to the local supermarket and buy the ingredients for a nice lunch.
While I was waiting near the checkout for him to choose the wine 
I saw a glow of yellow from a huge bucket which was full of daffodils.  
I slipped a couple of bunches in with food items.







 We did end up with  a feeling of spring sunshine even if was only from the daffodils. 
I hope you'll enjoy them as much as we will.


























As we had planned to be eating out, I hadn't made a birthday cake.
We don't very often eat bought gateaux, but French patisserie is delicious.
This is what he chose for his birthday gateaux.
I checked the name on the box and it was called
' Religieuse café '
Not sure why ! but the icing looks like a priests ruffle collar.




It was so delicious, the choux pastry was filled with a caramel cream
and the glaze was coffee.

A missed day out, turned into a day in, enjoying a nice meal and a house full of daffodils.

When we do take our drive into the Perigord region, I'll be taking  my camera with me,
so you will also be able to enjoy visiting this area of France. Which I know you will love.
So come back soon & take a peep.


à bientôt
Barbara Lilian






   





7 comments:

  1. Daffs are soooo Springy! I don't blame you.
    La Religieuse - the name means nun and does look a bit like a nun's habit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was not the birthday you had planned for your husband but with the bright daffodils and that delicious looking dessert, I'm sure that it was a very pleasant celebration day. I'll be looking forward to the post when you take the belated birthday trip. I'm waiting for our snow to stop and the sun's warmth to melt the snow. I love when the spring daffodils send up their first leaves...so I really loved your lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new look..very elegant!
    Happy b. day to your other half...the daffodils make for a festive celebration, not to mention that glorieuse religieuse! I love seeing the bulbs pushing up ..I'm in the garden every day en almost feel like measuring how much they've grown since the last time I passed them by. I hope spring passes very very slowly..want to savour every minute!
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful post, Barbara.
    We don't have so many daffodils here and your photos made me dream of buckets full of these lovely flowers. They tell spring, they tell sun.
    As for the religieuse au café, needless to say they are even harder to find in Florida - which in a sense is better this way!
    I hope you will enjoy a trip to Périgord soon. As you know, this region is one of the most charming ones and the food there is.......... what is the expression for "à tomber par terre" ? Vite mon dictionnaire!!! ;-)
    xo
    Anne Touraine (Playing with Scarves)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see lots of daffodils for sale, but mine are not up yet...or maybe my dog has trampled them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog....I am a new follower!! I love pictures from France...maybe someday I will visit!! The flowers are gorgeous and, well, caramel ice cream??? Sounds magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful daffodils...you have made me happy this chilly Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you