24 March 2013

My plant order has arrived, so it must be Spring.


I know Spring must have arrived
as I've just received my plants which I ordered in early February for Spring delivery.

I've only ever ordered plants from a catalogue once before, 
and I swore I would NEVER do it again
 I was so disappointed as they looked just like twigs.
No resemblance to the pictures in the catalogue
That was 23 years ago it wasn't easy to buy shrubs where we live.
 This area is mostly agricultural and if you couldn't eat it they didn't grow it.
 Thankfully things have changed a lot since then.








This time they seem to look a lot better than my first order, 
and in the box was a bonus
 3  free shrubs !
One of these looks like a twig ! The 'Magnolia  Kobus' 
 It's going to take a long time to look how it does in the picture!
 but,  it was free so I mustn't grumble !







I've planted  them all in pots, as they came bare rooted and need to get settled into some growing compost
as you can see the magnolia looking like a twig, will need some extra care and attention.
But I remember my old friend Leonard giving me a Magnolia, that looked like this, and it wasn't that long before it became a big twig with a few flowers and now when I pass my old house it has been moved ,
it must have grown too big for the garden.
I'll leave these in the pots, until they show signs of good growth
then plant them in the ground, 



The plant in this pot is a free one ' Ceanothe Victoria.' - Blue flowers.





These Marguerite were delivered. bare root in a poly-bag covered with sawdust.
I'll plant these in my new flower bed and cover them over with some dried ferns for awhile,
 the young growth could get damaged  by frost, as the nights are still cold
  where we live, and we can get unexpected ground frost.





These Marguerite will be pretty in a sunny area.






Six hardy Fuchsias 'Mme Cornelissen'  (  frost resistant to -15 ) 

A little on the small size with only young growth at the moment, 
so I'll keep them under cover for the time being,
 then they will be planted in a long trough for the deck.




Just to let you know I wasn't that thrilled about my box of plants.
Will  I be buying any more plants I haven't seen. ?

Maybe or maybe not !

I will keep you up to date with the success or failure of these plants.
Enjoy your gardening



à bientôt
Barbara Lilian




8 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara, Good luck with your plants. Your pictures are beautiful...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes the painting is of cosmos. I love that flower and always plant lots of it. I see we like the same flowers.I have two magnolia trees, one is a star magnolia with small star like flowers and the other is a saucer magnolia with huge flowers. I bought them both very small years ago and now they are huge. Lucky you with the weather. We actually had 2 inches of snow last Friday. Gone now but cold here. Can't wait to get in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire real gardeners! I love gardens, but don't consider myself a gardener at all. I'm sure you will get a wonderful result from your "twigs". So nice that you stopped by. Yes! I painted the frame. Mine was gold too. I love it so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a similar experience in ordering plants online. I complained and they resent the entire order again. Then I had two sets of not so nice looking starts. Good luck with yours! I'm keeping my fingers crossed mine made it through the Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't shop online, so need to see what I'm buying...I do wish you a most wonderful spring. I love the enthusiasm gardeners have for spring & the groiwng season! Joyeuses Pâques!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like your ready for some gardening. I have never ordered on line...I've thought about it, but we have a fabulous garden center and I usually go ahead and buy local. It's getting warmer here, slowly but surely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only ordered tomato seeds but was happy as they all germinated. It will be interesting to see how your plants do by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you