17 March 2013

1st Blossom



Japonica (  Japanese Quince )

My first shrub to blossom.

Last week end I cut some of the longer branches I'd missed when  pruning it in Autumn,
I brought them into the house to force the blossom
and
now I have a lovely vase of the blossom almost in full bloom.




This picture is an aerial view of our last house taken in 1990 just before we left 
to live in France
We lived on Dartmoor in Devon, which is the south west of England. 
A beautiful part of England.















This little arrangement is in small jar that I had found in the old barn of our first house in France.




I also found these shoes in the barn.

can you guess what they were used for ?


Do you remember me telling you  in an early post Sowing seeds at the right time - in tune with the moon.  about Leonard my old friend
who used to tell me how to garden , he told me they used to fit them on the cows feet
 when they went on the road pulling the cart to take their produce to the city for the big market.
This city is Limoges 40 km from where I lived.
Can you imagine having to travel all that distance to sell their chickens and vegetables.







I hope the spring blossom is in bloom where you live.
If  not, I'm sure Spring is just around the corner.



à bientôt
Barbara Lilian 

6 comments:

  1. Barbara,

    Your Japanese Quince is just lovely-the blooms are so precious and sweet-do they smell?
    I love your collage of all of your beautiful Spring Vignettes.

    Hugs!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a lovely arrangement with those quince flowers. It will be quite a few weeks before mine are in bloom though mine are a peachy pink colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blossoms! Just yesterday the plum tree started blossoms, and the willows have begun to leaf. Oh yeah! So glad it's spring. So nice you came by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty blossoms Barbara!
    I love the story of the cows shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your pretty blooms and pictures with us. Wow, your former home looks like such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved seeing your quince blossoms...we lost our tree in an ice storm. I sometimes bring in cuttings from my apple trees to force bloom. Even though today is the first day of spring, I have an additional foot of snow on the ground after yesterdays all day snow event. We have a ways to go before it will feel or look like spring in New England so I enjoyed your lovely blossoms.

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you